I confess, I have rather enjoyed typing the word ‘bosom’ in recent posts. It’s a word that looks every bit as matronly as I mean it – and with two ‘o’s to boot...
Below is a shot of the back of one completed Tarty Cardi (Tea Leaves Cardigan in Madelinetosh Tart yarn), with all ends woven in and buttons sewn on and (just to be unexpected) not involving any bosoms.
Here is a shot of the front of the same cardi, involving bosoms and the tartiest looking floral arrangement I could muster from my garden. Apologies for the weirdy posing.
Another shot from the back, again not involving bosoms and showcasing the fact that I could have further reduced the amount of stitches in the back – but overall, I’m pretty happy with that waist shaping.
A final bosom shot of the Tarty Cardi, with distracting purchasings from Ceres so I don’t feel like I am doing more weirdy posings. This also serves to document the existence of living herbery (etc), in case this dodgiest of green thumbs commits some forgetful sin and things start looking less healthy.
Vital Stats on the Tarty Cardi
NON KNITTERS LOOK AWAY NOW (or you’ll pass out from sheer boredom)...
I cast on as per a size 38 of the Tea Leaves Cardigan pattern. I began waist shaping 34 rows after the yoke section. I knit five rows of dart-like decreases (front and back – so decreasing eight stitches in total per row) with eight rows between each decrease row. Three rounds of dart-like lifted increases followed (front and back, so eight increased stitches per row), again with eight rows between each increase row. Another eight rounds of stockinette and five rounds of garter stitch to finish.
Because I already own a Tea Leaves with sleeves, I thought I’d see how much more wear I got out of non-sleeve version. I picked up eighteen stitches under the arm and proceeded to knit five rows. The intention was for a bit of cap sleeve-thing, which after blocking has flopped down more than I thought it would. The first row I increased a stitch every five stitches, the second row every tenth – probably an entirely dodgy way of going about things. Three more rows and a loose cast off.
The Clever Bit
I used precisely three skeins of the Madelinetosh Tosh DK Tart – with fifteen centimetres to spare. It was touch and go for a wee while there.